Global warming: World already halfway towards threshold that could result in dangerous climate change, say scientists
The world is heading towards unchartered territory at 'frightening speed'
“Every year we report a new record in greenhouse gas concentrations.
Every year we say that time is running out. We have to act now to slash
greenhouse gas emissions if we are to have a chance to keep the increase
in temperatures to manageable levels,” Mr Jarraud said.
Ways to Reduce Air PollutionAt home
*Conserve energy - turn off appliances and lights when you leave the room.*Recycle paper, plastic, glass bottles, cardboard, and aluminum cans. (This conserves energy and reduces production emissions.)
*Buy green electricity-produced by low-or even zero-pollution facilities.
(not all the energy companies produce the same quantity of green electricity, but they have the obligation of show you the rate of it they are selling if you ask them)
*Wash clothes with warm or cold water instead of hot.
* Buy ENERGY STAR products, including energy efficient lighting and appliances. They are environmentally friendly products.
*Choose products that have less packaging and are reusable.
*Shop with a canvas bag instead of using paper and plastic bags.
* Buy rechargeable batteries for devices used frequently.
* Keep tires properly inflated and aligned.
* In the summertime, fill gas tank during cooler hours to cut down on evaporation.
* Avoid waiting in long drive-thru lines, for example, at fast-food restaurants or banks. Park your car and go in. STOP YOUR CAR while you are waiting
* When possible, use public transportation, walk, or ride a bike.